There are numerous duties and roles involved in a typical construction project, depending on its type and scale. Reddy Kancharla mentions that a construction site can be extremely complex, and not just in a technical sense. Construction work involves the aspect of multiple professional disciplines working together as a team to achieve the required result. Kancharla is the ex president of a major New York City QA/QC firm that focused on construction. Recently, he started his own website to share his insights about the ever-changing construction and civil engineering field.
To make sure that a construction project is completed on time and within the budget, the seamless working of a variety of professionals would be required. Reddy Kancharla points out that in addition to the aspect of time, cost and scope, safety on site is also one of the key requirements of the modern construction operation. Contemporary construction framework tends to involve a host of safety requirements that are prescribed by legislation. There are several professionals belonging to the distinguished disciplines within the engineering sector involved in construction projects as well.
Here are some of the major roles at a construction site according to Reddy Kancharla:
- Construction manager: Construction managers are professionals that tend to be responsible for overseeing the entirety of a project, right from its start to completion. They are responsible for planning, budgeting, and overseeing progress at a construction site, and maintain constant communication with all others working on the project.
- Architect: These professionals are responsible for envisioning the needs of the client, and subsequently developing a creative solution based on that. Architects tend to develop creative plans, communicate that to the other parties involved, and oversee its ultimate execution. Most architects are involved with a construction project right from start to finish, to as to make sure that the vision of the client is being implemented properly.
- Construction worker: These professionals are the core driving force behind each and every construction project. Once a project is planned, the construction workers get on the site to start off with their work. They may demolish old structures, and subsequently work on creating new ones by following the relevant specifications. Construction workers have to be capable enough to operate certain heavy machinery, lift large objects, and perform certain construction tasks.
- Engineer: Engineers are extremely important at a construction site. They may specialize in electrical, mechanical, building engineering, and so on. They typically are required to use certain computer software technology for the purpose of creating plans for the project in hand, while traveling to construction sites to see their proper implementation.
- Quantity Surveyor: Such professionals are meant to provide clients valuable advices on building costs and contractual matters throughout the construction process. They may even provide aid in the creation of tender documentation, receiving and analyzing tenders and preparing the tender report for the client and recommendations for approval.
In addition to the ones mentioned above, there are several other professionals involved in modern construction projects.